Friday, March 21, 2008


DAN AND KRYSTINA are gracing me with their presence this weekend, and I couldn't be more pleased. I've tried to think of ways to entertain them in a particularly Memphis style, and it's been an interesting exercise in realizing what it is I like about Memphis, something I haven't ever had to do before.


When I think of good bars, I think the P and H, Ernestine and Hazel's, and Celtic Crossing- clearly I'm into dives (and I always thought I was such a nice girl). In fact, at Ernestine and Hazel's last Halloween- ha! Well, that's another story for another day. A list of great places to hear music is certainly topped by the Hi-Tone. Food is another set of seven sub-categories itself, but the sunny porch at Cafe Ole with a pitcher of margaritas (with Burke's excellent used bookstore around the corner) is too relaxing to pass up on a Friday evening. Brunch at the Arcade. The Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. Redbirds baseball. Morning coffee on the porch with a little gardening to follow. Spring is upon us, and the choices are endless and deeply satisfying. Who could be stressed out in such a place?


A friend of mine commented yesterday that she couldn't believe how upbeat all my blogs were. She said she was surprised that I was never stressed or unhappy or deeply bothered by anything. I thought about that for a long, long time- all last night, as I was trying to get to sleep, and most of today, and I finally realized something bizarre: I only write when I'm stressed or unhappy or something is deeply bothering me. I wrote back to tell her that and she replied that at least I knew how to hide it. It made me wonder why on earth I do that- why write about stupid politicians and superheros and gardening? Contrary to what everyone I know thinks, I hate, hate, hate to share my real feelings about anything with anyone, ever. Finally, I came to the conclusion that maybe when they threaten to overtake me, I write about my idiotic nonsense to remind myself that nothing is ever as serious as it seems. And do you know what? I think it works. Eventually. I highly recommend it.


And with that revelation, I leave you with the gift of song.


Ciara is currently listening to Time Is The Enemy by Quantic.

No comments: